Friday, February 13, 2009

Valentine's Day

I was going to write a post about the top ten reasons why Valentine's Day is awesome, but as I was thinking through the list, I realized that all of my reasons really boil down to two: My Dad and Ben. So, here are my Valentine's Day memories.....
  • When I was 5, my dad gave me a pink shirt with a heart on the collar. Judging from pictures, I think I wore it everyday for a year.
  • In 5th grade, I got cut from the school play. Oh the rejection. I also lost the class spelling bee. As the clear favorite, the devastation was palpable. I came home from piano lessons to find a box of chocolates and the sweetest note ever from my dad. I have since hid the note because I can't even look at the envelope without crying.
  • In college, I lamented not having a date to the Valentine's Day banquet, which the school was cruel enough to hold in the regular dining commons so it was clear to everyone who was with someone and who was oh so alone. Dad made the 4 hour drive just to give me an excuse to dress up to go to dinner in the dining commons. Seriously, have you ever heard of anything sweeter?
And then there's Ben. Who has something up his sleeve this year...I hear from a source that he's at the top of his game. But the thing that I already love the most is that he remembered to get Talya a card - demonstrating that, like me, she is one lucky girl - who probably will not grow up to hate Valentine's Day.

Sorry to make you cry Dad - I love you!

3 comments:

Dad said...

Well, you did. Not only as you recall the past, but as you describe Ben's expression to Talya today. In this short post the world today is all perfect. I love you. Happy Valentine's Day!

DrMommy said...

Oh, this post made me want to cry! I have the chills!

Hope your vday was lovely.

Sheena said...

This post made me cry and you know I am not an emotional one...