Monday, October 6, 2008

Why I'm contemplating getting rid of television

Yes I just wrote an ode to my tv. Because I might be breaking up with it, and I felt I owed it at least that much, since it's been there for me for so long. Just to be clear, I still reserve the right not to break up with it, but I am processing through what life would be like without it.

Without my tv, I might:
read more.
listen to music.
exercise. (although I think I might need the tv to keep me on the elliptical)
clean my house. (maybe)
hang out with Ben more.
and most importantly, go to bed earlier.

There have been a few things that have brought me to this critical point. First, Time Warner cable no longer carries NBC, which is maybe the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Second, all my favorite shows are on at 10:00, and no one should stay up that late when there is no telling when the baby monitors will start screaming at you. Third, all of my favorite shows are available online. (Actually that's not true - I'd really miss Bravo - can someone tape Top Chef and Project Runway for me?) With the free options that the internet and the library offer me, is it really worth it to pay for entertainment?

Hmmm.... I'm pondering. There will be more on this later.

1 comment:

Stephany said...

I KNOW what you mean! I think the only reason that we're holding on to this television is because of Peter's two favorites; 'Curious George' and 'Clifford'.
However, Tim and I are now finding ourselves muting the commercials because of their content and language. Unbelievable!!!