Monday, May 12, 2008

Happy Mother's Day (to me!)

This Mother's Day was my favorite ever - maybe because my son is now old enough to tell me Happy Mother's Day and give me cards and presents! Seriously, yesterday, I was reflecting on my experience as a mother and I am SO thankful. I have a wonderful child who is smart and well-adjusted despite me dragging him around the world and giving him too much "screen time." I have the hope of meeting my second son in heaven and seeing him "the way it was supposed to be." And I am anticipating welcoming a daughter (a daughter!) into my world in just weeks. Mostly, I am thankful for the man who made me a mommy and continues to help me succeed at motherhood by being such a great dad.

And, of course, there's my mom..... She really is the best mom ever, which is evidenced by how smart and well-adjusted I am. And since I am pretty much just like her, I obviously think she did everything right. There are some differences - I am not as afraid of my children getting electrocuted by showering during a storm. And, I don't think I pray nearly enough as she did for me. But, she has made me the mom I am - and given me the permission not to be a "supermom." Love you Mom!

3 comments:

Libby said...

Susie, I felt the same way... I am able to be a mom because of the man i married. I love your writings. What yr did you graduate from TU? (TU right?). I'm just a few steps behind you at 24 weeks. It's such an exiting time. Luvs.

Don B said...

Both you and your mom are women whom God has blessed richly and through whom many, including me, are blessed beyond measure! How fortunate I am among men!

Susie said...

Libby, I graduated from TU in 01, which seems like it should be a lot fewer than 7 years ago. I was then Susan Beebe and if you remember me it would probably be because of the clothes I believed were perfectly appropriate for the classroom. I'm enjoying following your life too - it's nice to live someone else's adventure!
Susie