Thursday, December 9, 2010

Advent!

Last year, advent was heavy, but in a great way.


This year, advent is glitter and glue and lights strewn everywhere I can find room. We are a family full of children, which feels magical, even though I've screwed up Santa yet again. (Why did it take me so long to realize that small children don't really understand "pretend"... to them everything is real?)

Anyway, I've been busy. I've decided to make some of the big gifts this year, and so far, so good. Only minor glue gun burns and I haven't broken down in tears yet. I'm excited to finish Talya's present so I can show you. But, first, it was time to decorate.

Ben and I have an ongoing battle over real tree/fake tree. You might be surprised which side we're each on. I lost again this year, so we have a needle-dropping, sap-seeping, prickly pokey real tree.

Last year we started celebrating Advent with the Jesse Tree, but instead of a tree, I made 24 envelopes that housed the Jesse symbol and little candies. We hung them from a picture hanging wire. This year, the wire had fallen victim to redecorating, and as I debated where to hang our Jesse Symbols it finally dawned on me that (duh) our Christmas Tree can be our Jesse Tree.


The envelopes became ornaments, and I love it.

Merry Christmas, Happy Advent, The King is coming and we're welcoming Him with lots of sparkly lights.

2 comments:

steps directed said...

Just beautiful! These are the special things that your little ones will remember all their lives. Enjoy every day!

anymommy said...

This was gorgeous. Also, your email button won't work for me. Email me (anymommyoutthere@gmail.com) so I can get your information for goat distribution!!!