Wednesday, September 1, 2010

My house Re-done: Family Rules


Forever ago, I saw this idea about making a family rules canvas. While I'm not big on scrapbook paper or cute and crafty things in my house (I think they're adorable in your houses), I loved the idea of making rules - and I loved some of the rules I saw enough to steal them.

The rest of the rules I unilaterally decreed. I asked Ben's opinion and he wanted a rule about brushing your teeth and bathing every day, which I just think isn't realistic. I know, gross, don't judge. 

I'm into typography, and a lot of the new artwork in my house shows that. I just decided to go with a more uniform print, inspired by this one that I saw on etsy. You really don't need to spend $20 on this - you can do it yourself, but if you want to buy one, then there's a lot of options out there.

Here are our (my) rules:
1) Children obey your parents, Parents obey your Father.
2) Nothing that comes out of your body goes into your mouth.
3) Daddy hug Mommy, Mommy take the time to enjoy it.
4) Say you're sorry (and mean it).
5) Don't hit, kick, punch, pinch or otherwise hurt each other.
6) Eat your food, don't throw it.
7) Share each other's happiness - and each other's burdens.
8) No Whining.
9) Give your guests your best.
10) Have a good attitude. When you can't, have a dance party.
11) Always be nice, and always tell the truth.
12) God didn't put you here to be comfortable. He put you here to love His kids and take care of His stuff.

What are your rules?



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh I think I'm in love.

I'm stealing this too!! thanks for sharing it .... love the colors (reminds me of the Keep Calm posters!)

Anonymous said...

sorry - hit submit too quickly.

Some of our rules?

Say "Good morning" every day
Clean up your own messes
Hugs can fix almost everything
Speak kindly
NO slamming of doors
Play music every day
Mama doesn't work for you (i.e. get your own water, find your own toys, etc.)

(I'm not sure all of my rules will fit on the page!)

Rachael D. said...

That looks awesome!

Here are the rules I say most often:

Show respect to everyone
Make amends when you hurt someone
David: No bossing - you are not the mommy or daddy
Geneva: Gentle hands
Cell phones and cameras are not your toys
Cuddles are the best way to fall asleep

Heather said...

Love it! I'll have to keep this in mind for when Miss A gets a little bigger... right now the only rule I want her to follow is: "Sleep through the night!" lol!

Abby said...

Love this. I need to think about my rules, but I have to say your first one is my favorite. You are so creative!

Jessica said...

I LOVE this idea! It's great finding ways to make art out of typography and have it be stylish too :) I may just have to steal this idea once I have children. Thanks for sharing.

Kathy said...

This is so GEORGOUS! I love the typography! Great great idea!!