Monday, March 15, 2010

Pride comes before a fall...

I admit, I was starting to get a little cocky. I'm not going to make the mistake again of bragging about good sleep, but let's just say I'm a little more rested than before. Overall, Charlie has fallen into a routine with the family - a routine that allows me to go to the gym, go to the office when I need to, and get at least a few minutes of nap time all to myself.

In all my arrogance, it was time for me to re-learn the basics of mothering - today was a day of remedial lessons in parenting. Here's what I've had to review:
  • Four-year-olds are not old enough to babysit.
  • No matter how long the baby usually naps, he will wake up as soon as you get in the shower.
  • It doesn't matter if you go to Meijer for one thing, if you bring three kids into the grocery store at 5:00 pm, you will spend at least $50.
  • We are always almost out of formula...
  • ...and I always need to buy more Diet Coke.
  • On the days that Daddy has all three kids and you trot off thinking, "Now he'll see what it's really like," all three kids are perfect, nap for 3 hours, and eat their dinner.
Hopefully, you'll learn from my experiences so you don't have to spend a day in Mommy Summer School.

Yes, Taly is licking the cart. And, no, I don't wipe it down - partly because I'm lazy and partly because I'd rather her eat cart dirt than bleach...

6 comments:

Stephanie N. said...

True, true.

Jim and April said...

heehee...love all the little things you wrote...funny how you said they are perfect for daddy or nap! Speaking of showers, my friends with children said their kids will peak their heads in the showers while they are in there just to see their mom...cracks me up!

Abby said...

You're a pro, Sus.

And we're okay with cart dirt, too. Makes a great teether!

Kristy M said...

I've been wondering how I was going to take 3 kids to the grocery store. Your system looks great although - where do you put the groceries??

Me Too said...

Oh yes, Bjorn is always a perfect ANGEL when Daddy takes him (except for that one really funny time when he puked. twice.). He just doesn't get why he doesn't nap and always needs to be held.

And I dig cart dirt. Almost as much as table-at-a-restaurant dirt and ACTUAL dirt from plants in Home Depot. The old saying is true. God made dirt. It don't hurt.

Carra said...

Just learned of your blog through e4e. Read several posts - you are hilarious! Love to get to know you. gonna blog roll ya girl :-)