I have no doubt that as exciting as it will be to pick up Charlie in Rwanda, there will be a few infinitely difficult aspects. The first will be leaving Sy & Taly behind, and I'm sure another will be saying goodbye to Charlie's orphanage, and all the other kids who are still waiting for families.
From what we've learned, Charlie's orphanage is fantastic - full of love and care. But, can you imagine the amount of diapers, formula, clothes, and medicine that are required to adequately care for a large number of children of varying ages...without a Target down the street? Shudder.
I'd like to use our family's joyous occasion to throw a baby shower - not for us, but for Charlie's friends that he will be telling goodbye. Below is a list of items that are frequently needed by orphanages. Would you take a look at the list and consider sending contributing a needed item?
When we travel, we will bring along all of the donations. If by some small miraculous chance, our travel plans come together so quickly that we leave before we can collect everything, we will take care of making sure that it does get sent along with another traveling family.
Donations can be dropped off at or mailed to:
651 Taylor Drive
Xenia, OH 45385
Attn: Susie T.
I would be happy to collect funds to buy food when we get there, but I don't have a tax-deductible place for you to make it out to, and you'd just have to trust me. If you're fine with that, I am too.
Any questions, just let me know!
LIST OF NEEDED ITEMS
- Children’s clothing (new or slightly used); Boys and Girls; sizes 2-8 years. Clothing needs include day clothes, pajamas, underwear, and shoes.
- Diapers size for up to 30 pounds
- Toys to stimulate babies such as colorful objects, rattles, etc. that are appropriate for babies up to 2 years
- Unscented baby wipes
- Powder formula with DHA/RHA
- Lactose free formula
- A + D Original Ointment, Diaper Rash and All-Purpose Skincare Formula;
- Hand Sanitizer
- underwear for older kids
- clothes(especially trousers, dress)
- DVD player and CDs( children movies, educational, spiritual movies, songs)
Medications/Medical items families can bring:
o Tri-vi-sol (o to 6 months)
o Poly-vi-sol (6 months to 2 years)
o Chewable multi-vitamin (2 years to 9 years)
o Adult multivitamin (9 years plus)
• Syringes for giving medicines (5mL)
• Plastic disposable gloves
• Baby nose saline spray
• mouth and nose masks
• Benadryl liquid/elixir
• Permetherin for scabies
• Lice kits
• Toothbrushes, toothpaste and floss
If taking formula, the requested brands are:
OR the following Generic Brands with identical nutritional value as Enfamil & Similac
1. Parents Choice formula from Wal-Mart
2. Target’s generic Formula
3. Kirkland formula from Costco
Please stick to these five if you really want their donated formula to be put to use as that is what all the children are used to. You can also donate soy based or other special formula as long as they are these brands.