Wednesday, June 20, 2007

10 Million Girls Killed in 20 Years



If you know me well enough to be interested in reading this, then you probably know there is nothing that upsets me more than women being treated unfairly - and the abortion and infanticide that occurs around the world but especially in India of babies just because they are girls is the largest injustice I can think of in this regard. Click [link=http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/05/11/india.buried.reut/index.html]here[/link] for a link to an article on CNN that gives one such an example, and several heartbreaking statistics about this trend here.

For these reasons, it is illegal to find out the sex of your baby in India. Though this is extremely disappointing to me because I loved the sense of bonding that came from calling Sy by his name in pregnancy, I wholeheartly support any measures the government will take to prevent these crimes.

No comments: