Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Oh the Drama!

One of the things I prayed about before coming here is that God’s love would be more real to me. To be honest, I had a hard time believing that a God who loved me would send me so far away from the people I love. But, God has demonstrated his love to ME in this: he has given me happiness – true and abounding – here in a place I have dreaded living.

As I’ve written before, this country is full of things that make me crazy (trash, crowds, and a full-blown sensory assault) and empty of the things that Americans hold dear (order, comfort, and someone to blame for everything). Yet, the drama queen in me loves that nothing goes the way it is supposed to. And, the cynic in me gets a sense of enjoyment when things can’t get any worse. And, my sarcastic sense of humor gets a workout when things make no sense. And my category-hating free spirit shines in a place where organization is not next to godliness and resourcefulness is a more-needed quality than preparedness.

You see, that is God’s love letter to me. He has taken the things that people (including myself) have designated my weaknesses, and He has made those the things that keep me thriving here. I serve a God who not only accepts my awkwardness, but He speaks to me through it.

I have learned to say (loudly and with feeling) along with Paul, “For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

No comments: